January 7, 2009

The Beginning of the End



Well, here we are: the 21st century of Internet media. After talking with my friends and family about this for a while, I've decided to throw my hat into the apparently infinitely large ring of the Internet and the pop culture world. I've decided to do this not because I have any particular expertise in the areas of TV and movie watching (though I've logged enough hours in both to be considered expert by a long-suffering few), but because I feel that I have interesting things to say, and I enjoy having the ability to get a chance to say them.

For as long as I can remember I've been interested in the concept of "Story", whether found in movies, TV, video games, or (heaven forbid) the written word. I have relished everything from action-heavy tales about the struggle to survive encapsulated in shows like Battlestar Galactica to stories based around a bittersweet contemplation of time and place contained in shows like Freaks and Geeks. Though my tastes definitely trend towards what many consider to be "genre", I have been known to watch a serious "film" or even documentary in my time.

I intend this space to be a repository of my thoughts on the things I like to watch and read, as well as the games I like to play. I don't intend for it to be an archive of critiques or reviews for every piece of the popular lexicon. As such, you can expect to find my analysis of shows like Battlestar Galactica, Scrubs, Lost, 24, and Damages, as well as my thoughts on movies and video games which I actually desire to see or purchase of my own accord. What you won't see are my thoughts on CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives or any other show or movie which I am not independently watching, regardless of how popular the same might be. Life's too short to spend it watching fictional stories which don't interest you, right?

As this is my first foray into the land of self-published blogging, I hope that you can all bear with me while I figure out what works and what doesn't. I intend this first two weeks or so to be a bit of a dry-run with me putting up posts on shows on a somewhat sporadic basis, all hopefully leading up to regular updates once Battlestar and Lost make their triumphant midseason returns.

Well, I'm excited, and I hope that after I prove myself a bit, you will be to. In the meantime its back to the day job...

No comments:

Post a Comment